The new engine will show its full power over the next couple of versions but it already now includes the following features:
- Encounters can be made up from completely arbitrary beings (ADOM allowed but four monsters types maximum).
- Encounters can be dynamically modified during runtime (ADOM never could do that; so in ADOM II e.g. monsters that follow you into wilderness become encounters).
- Encounters can be very flexibly tuned to be available or not (e.g. an encounter that works on several wilderness tiles, not just one as in ADOM or under certain conditions or...).
- There can be non-hostile encounters.
- Encounters can come with highly individualized maps.
- Encounters can be one-time or repetitive.
- Encounters can be dynamically extended (important for ADOM II Deluxe ;-) ).
Oh, and encounters with hostile armies still need to be added - but the infrastructure now is there and this should be pretty simple ;-)