Today I finally converted the highscore display to an ASCII version (as mentioned on DevState). The ASCII version now can be used in both the immersive UI mode and the windowed UI mode. I stumbled upon quite a number of bugs still hidden in the immersive UI mode which I managed to fix but a few more are left.
And I discovered a strange kind of happiness playing gnome commoners... it's so exciting to survive at least one fight ;-)
Now I'm off to convert the experience display to a decent ASCII display - I discovered that this dialog also needs to be converted and I so far had completely forgotten about it.
So one more task finished and a new one discovered.