Sadly our very first release was plagued with some crash bugs and hangers due to some unwise last minute decisions. We believe that we have identified and fixed all these problems and thus are happy to announce ADOM R62 (version 2.0.1) as a Steam release.
The most important additions are:
- 'u'se tool now is more intelligent: When you have no tool equipped it lets you select an item to use from your backpack (this is the first step to reduce the number of keys a new player will need to know - the second step with the next release will be to allow many uses, e.g. eating, drinking, etc. directly).
- The 'explore unknown areas' command (w?) now also is bound to '-' (minus) to make it much more accessible. I already have become addicted and also have noticed a couple of areas where it should be made more intelligent (e.g. when discovering monsters and items; also something to do for the next step).
- Additionally exploration mode now offers a wand of wishing with 42 wishes as people complained about our tough limit of 4. We live to please ;-)
- Alt-tabbing and shift-tabbing no longer should cause any problems.
- There no longer should be any hangs when leaving the game unobserved in the background.
- Reading spellbooks no longer should cause any NotEye problems.
- Right-clicking on altars no longer should cause problems.
If we do not hit any other serious issues ADOM R63 will take a little longer as we intend to do some heavy-lifting on the UI side. The Steam release brought lots of interesting insights on how to simplify the UI without completely changing it and now I'm even optimistic that we might have Steam controller support at some not too distant point ;-)
And now go playing on Steam - the prerelease tester versions also will be uploaded soon (Jochen is working on it). The next free version will have to wait a little, though as none of these serious problems should have been present in ADOM R60.