The forums are back up. I upgraded to the latest vBulletin version (which cost me $175 but hopefully will be worth the investment). There were some troubles with the project tools (used for the JADE issues, etc.) but this should be under control now, too. On the positive side the forums now
- should be even faster,
- have better options to prevent bots from registering and
- probably can include nifty new features once I am happy with the overall state.
Concerning the hacker attack:
- Slowly things are getting under control.
- The blog is still gone and I'm not sure that I will get it back up running with the old content. The main problem is that my Wordpress installation was heavily customized with plugins and thus I never again was able to update it. The script kid found a security hole in some obscure plugin I never even used (grrr) and exploited that. Now the blog installation is in shambles, it's not an option to restore the old version due to the security hole(s) and I'm not sure that any modern installation will be able to make sense of the plugin-modified database. A real shame...
- Our preliminary analysis indicates that the hacker was some rather bland and stupid script kid that nonetheless possessed enough brain tissue to discover above mentioned security hole. But not much more.
- At least the hacker kiddy was bright enough to hide decently and my provide doesn't have the resources to track the kid.
- The attack occurred via the IP 126.96.36.199.
- The script kid tried to include the server in some kind of bot net.
As far as we know no other damage than destroying some data and some PHP files was done. The site is slowly recovering and hopefully we have plugged all holes.
- I always wanted to include a deliberately humorous episode in ADOM, now this will happen in JADE.
- There will be a minor story arc concerning the script wizard of B'ot, trying to concquer the world with some kind of infectious disease.
- The script wizard of B'ot basically will be some kind of snotty and rotten bastard, too incompetent to achieve anything worthwhile and a target for the attacks of JADE players in their very early phases of hero life.
- He will be trivial to defeat and usually die a horribly painful and gory death. Again and again. As he will be bound to turn up in various intervals in the game. Maybe with yet another stupid plan, maybe just to be brutalized in a few seconds.
Suggestions for funny and embarassing deaths of the script wizard of B'ot (or whatever we are going to call him/her/it) are welcome.
P.S.: If you notice problems with the forums please post them here in the comments. Right now I am busy on many front lines and this a place I look at regularly.