JADE 0.1.5 (or maybe even 0.2.0) - the next release - will be a big feature release (barring any pressing issues in JADE 0.1.4) and probably will take a little longer as I really want it to be heavy on new features, items, monsters and story elements.
Here's the list of things changed in JADE 0.1.4:
* Adjusted the credits.
* Added more internal debugging options.
* Adjusted the walk commands to wait for 100 steps instead of 101 (my index
was of by one).
* Adjusted the description for gold so that it never displays its item status
(which in any case is constantly uncursed).
* Shortened the exception message in the error dialog to a more reasonable
* Added a new dungeon entrance message.
* Added the altar color to the visual description.
* Increased the base speed of shopkeepers (RFE 163).
* Increased the minimum PV adjustment for mithril, adamantium and eternium
so that helmets, boots, etc. show tangible effects.
* Added a safety measure in order to reduce the number of instance PC kills
due to critical hits by monsters.
* Added cursor up / down as new key bindings to be able to scroll through
text dialogs (in addition to '*' and _') as well as (Ctrl/Alt/Meta) cursor
up / down (in addition to '+' and '-') (RFE 395).
* Fixed a problem with constantly changing shop prices.
* Fixed a problem with features (like altars) hiding items and item stacks.
* Fixed a typo in a startup screen message.
* Fixed yet another problem with monsters following you (issue 187).
* Fixed a display bug in the item list (issue 200).
* Fixed the incorrect height of medium and high mountain ranges (issue 211).
* Fixed the ugly disabled "restore game" button (issue 230).
* Fixed the problem of the generating shop inventory items on the shop door
* Fixed more problems with frozen and undying monsters (regression 282, 378,
The problem also could create hangs (issue 318).
* Fixed the problem of passages being counted as doors (regression 289).
* Fixed problems with inappropriate item fit sizes (issue 345).
* Fixed a problem with dropped unpaid items disappearing in shops (issue 346).
* Fixed various crashes related to more key commands being accepted while a
command still was under execution (issue 348).
* Fixed the "attack nearest enemy" command to only attack enemies that one
can see (issue 350).
* Fixed a crash exception when dropping items on altars (issue 351). Improved the
robustness of the overall message code to reduce the effect of this type of
* Fixed a problem in calculating the required number of slots to wield an item
* Fixed the problem of superfluous altar messages (issue 353).
* Fixed a problem that caused 'w>' and 'w<' to magically find previously unknown
shortcuts to the stairways (issue 354).
* Fixed the annoying problem of being attacked with "interesting" weapons which
then don't show up after the attacker has been defeated (issue 357).
* Fixed a major inefficiency in JADE (issue 358). JADE now should be _much_
* Fixed the rather non-random path finding algorithm employed by 'w#', 'w>'
and 'w<' (issue 359).
* Fixed the less than intelligent way in which monsters try to get to you
(especially if surrounded by many other beings, JADE A* now differentiates
various pathfinding modes) (issue 360).
* Fixed a problem with duplicate messages in the Drakalor Chain (issue 361).
* Fixed the problem of being able to drop items on the shop door (issue 362).
* Fixed a problem with rare save file crashes (issue 363).
* Fixed the ogre lord crash (issue 364).
* Fixed the problem of not being able to save skill points - now an arbitrary
number can be saved although you still can only spend them when advancing a
level (issues 218, 368).
* Fixed a problem in internal list handling which caused items to switch into
the "destroyed" state without being physically destroyed in the game
* Fixed a problem with freshly sold items being even more completely identified
in shops than standard stock items (issue 375).
* Fixed a problem with missing connections between dungeon rooms (issue 377).
As a result maps now (IMHO) also look nicer.
* Fixed a crash bug when trying to equip gold (issue 380).
* Fixed a shop message typo (issue 394).
* (Hopefully) fixed various keyboard command issues by completely rewriting the
keyboard hadling code for JADE (issue 396).
* You no longer can move when being overloaded with stuff (issue 402).
* Fixed a problem with monsters not really following you into maze levels
Have fun downloading the game and playing it!
The difficulty seems a lot more balanced now.
I'm getting an error when trying to download, is it me or you?
Warning: Unknown(): open_basedir restriction in effect. File(/mnt/oldhome/adom/website/jade/downloads/javawebstart/index.php) is not within the allowed path(s): (/home:/tmp:/var/tmp:/usr/local/php-4.4.4) in Unknown on line 0
Warning: Unknown(/mnt/oldhome/adom/website/jade/downloads/javawebstart/index.php): failed to open stream: Operation not permitted in Unknown on line 0
Warning: (null)() [function.include]: Failed opening '/mnt/oldhome/adom/website/jade/downloads/javawebstart/index.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/php-4.4.4/lib/php') in Unknown on line 0
Works for me :-^ Temporary problem?ReplyDelete
Hello, I have been playing old ADOM for ages, so I was quite curious about new Java based one. First thing I see as negative is absence of ability to copy save file ... yeah, I am doing this, so what! I do not enjoy game without proper save function, so after 2-hour grinding when I die, I have to start again. It would be great to do something about this, I have only one life, and although ADOM is a nice game I do not want to spend so much time with useless grinding again and again. (unless I am missing something?)ReplyDelete
No response. Well, so much for feedback ..ReplyDelete
@Cancers: Sorry, between Facebook, the newsgroup, the issues list, actually working on JADE, having a full time job and a real life it's not always easy to notice everything and answer to everything. No ill will intended, just lack of time ;-)ReplyDelete
It's one of the basic features of roguelike games to delete the save files so that death is final. Thus you are asking to undermine one of the basic game category features ;-)
I'm right now planning a kind of "ultimate edition" of JADE that will allow you to actually retain your save file. Personally I do not believe that this enhances the fun of roguelike games but who am I to decide for you how to play best ;-) So please be patient... this year there will be a solution although you still will have to wait a couple of days.
Thanks for the reply, I disagree though :) I think almost no one would play any game with final death, because it is actually impossible to get to the later phase of the game, not to mention incredible time and nerve loss. No one wants to spend playing and advancing whole day and then .. oops, goblin came and killed me! It is probably some kind of taboo or what as I see, but roguelike games (any long-length games) imho aren't exception of this rule, even if it sounds romantic to say that it is "basic game feature". Well, for most players it is more of annoying, still I must say that old ADOM was one of the best game I ever played (And it wouldn't be like that with final death, that is for sure :D)ReplyDelete