This is new: The first ADOM release (R53, version 1.11.0) available on Steam first. Mostly this happens for two reasons:
- We want to get to Steam ASAP and thus need to receive as much feedback as soon as possible for that version.
- The build process is getting more and more involved and thus it takes more time to build all variants. Prerelease testers will be next, promise!
Regarding the Steam version:
- It's a closed beta available to everyone who donated $40 or more (in whatever partitioning) during our crowdfunding campaign.
- All such donors have received a Steam key that is available through the ADOM self service portal. Follow the instructions there to log in.
- I have created a new discussion group too discuss peculiarities regarding the Steam version.
- We would like to get as much feedback as possible - please use our ticket system for any bugs you find and for any improvements peculiar to Steam you might want to see.
This very first Steam version definitely has beta character:
- There probably will be many bugs as we changed tons of stuff in the past couple of weeks to improve the UI. Please report them as you find them!
- There probably are many things we could improve, especially for the general Steam populace and for an improved UI. Let us know about those, too.
- Here is the usual list of changes.
The real Steam release is going to happen when we feel that we have a very good first stable release. Lots of features didn't make it into the first Steam release (because that would delay it for even more weeks if not months) - see our advanced roadmap for those.
What we need: We are looking for all feedback we can get but some areas are of particular interest to us:
- We want to get as many suggestions as possible on what to improve to make the Steam launch a huge success (naturally).
- We would love to hear feedback on mouse-based play. What needs to be improved to make pure mouse-based play a better experience (we probably won't be able to all of that right away but we would like to cover the most important areas).
- Please try the new message buffer modes (adjustable by Ctrl-nm), the various display modes (Ctrl-nd), the tutorial mode, the various other game modes, ghosts, achievements, etc. We want to hear your experiences with that, too!
- And everything else you deem important.
We are on the verge of a new ADOM age and it's now or never... greatness or oblivion ;-)