Updates have been few and far inbetween right now, now because we are not working but rather because we have hit what I call the long tail of software development.
Our prime focus currently is to get the first combined NotEye/ADOM release out but this entails still a lot of detail work. We are hard on it and many other parts are being fiddled with (see below) but there is little externally visible process.
As I am going to be traveling a fair bit during the next couple of weeks I have decided to switch my attention for a moment in order to proceed with the ADOM RPG. So here's the task list we are working on right now:
- Jochen and Zeno and slugging away to get the first ADOM/NotEye release out of the door. We intend to be p12 the first such release. Jochen in particular still has to fiddle a fair bit withe build system, dependency management, etc.
- Lucas is working hard on more and more soundtracks. Slowly but steadily an impressive score is being gathered.
- Krys is painting his soul away, below you can see the latest character variant update:
- Sadly we also kind of encountered a problem we all totally forgot to take into consideration when doing the initial estimation: we forgot about female monster variants - which probably adds another 120 or so monsters and hardly will fit into our budget schedule :-( Damn. See the problem:
- Due to the traveling mentioned above I am going to focus on the ADOM Lite RPG for a couple of weeks to get it to a much more complete state.
Additionally it's time for more community input. Two main issues need to be decided in order to implement them in the near future:
First of all we need to get a better idea what to do with all the new quests and maps that will be added to the game. I have a slew of ideas but I also would like to hear your input. Generally I intend to use them to make the early game more accessible and fun (but not all of them ;-) ) and I also want fill some plot holes in order to get rid of the need for spoilers. Now tell me: What would you like to see the new maps and quests get used for?
Secondly it's time for the achievements system. Jochen already has started working on the server infrastructure and client protocol for that, too, and we now would love to have more input for cool achievements. Long-time supporter and fan Sascha Schnitzer already sent me the following batch of ideas which I like a lot but there's surely a lot of cool stuff we haven't yet thought of:
It Starts Easy
Die your first death.
Time Flies If You're Having Fun
Die due to old age.
You were eaten by a grue.
Rocks Fall, Everyone Dies
Become a gaming cliché. [Death through falling rocks.]
Things Were Better Back Then
Restore a character from permadeath.
Find a si.
Recover from being doomed.
Have Fate smile upon you.
Resist a total of X points of fire damage.
Mad Carpenter No More
Find a way to cure Yrrigs.
A Child's Hero
Save a puppy from certain doom.
Slay a dragon. Easy, right?
Become sick from food poisoning.
Kill an enemy with poison.
Give and Take
Spend a total of 90,169 gold pieces in shops with one character.
Avatar of Thieves
Steal an item worth at least 6,666 gold pieces.
I Can Do This All Night
Spend 60 days continuously under water.
Become a cannibal with every player race.
Stick them with the pointy end!
Dual-wield Needle and Sting.
Filk Will Never Die!
So let's gather your input and stay tuned. Hopefully will be real soon now able to do the groundbreaking ADOM/NotEye release :-)