the release of ADOM 1.2.0 Prerelease 21.
The latest version incorporates sweeping minor and major changes (details below) and lays the groundwork for the next sequence of extensions. Please read the notes below carefully and - if you are not yet a member of the prerelease program - consider to join it ;-)
- the NotEye configuration files (config.noe and config-adom.noe) are now located in the adom.data directory
- many of the new graphic enhancements (status icons, animated water, etc.) can be turned off in the NotEye configuration menu "ADOM-specific options"
- we recommend increasing the "frames per second" (fps) value to 30 if your PC is fast enough to handle it (the default is 15 fps)
- The most exciting and frightening change of all: toyed greatly with the distribution of monsters on the later levels - I'm really curious for feedback on this one. As a side note the evolution rate of monsters also has been fiddled with. Corruption rates for later games also have been down tuned somewhat in order to make it more worthwhile to explore the late stages of the game. Experience points for some late game monsters have been down tuned as well to hopefully rebalance things.
- ADOM now contains a tutorial mode that introduces newbie players to the game and simplifies some aspects of the game (e.g. hunger). These restrictions get removed gradually, an introductory dungeon has been added and hints try to teach various concepts of the game.
- Two new dungeons have been added for levels 15+.
- Update: 82% of the statues promised in the crowd funding campaign now have been implemented. The ones left are the very difficult to impossible ones. We'll take them as an inspiration and implement the remaining ones over the next couple of releases.
- Appearance now is somewhat more useful (although the discussion about it had some controversies I really like that change).
- Various usability enhancements have been added quick-marking mindcrafter powers, the ability to take item notes, a word match search filter for the inventory and allowing to use + and - with the look command [although I'm not yet completely happy with the revised interface]).
- The final battle against Andor Drakon has been buffed (by both buffing Andor Drakon and enhancing the difficulty of the Plane of Chaos itself).
- As usual tons of bugs have been fixed (special thanks to Jochen once more who again and again proves to be the most meticulous bug slayer around here!). One particular annoying feature has been removed (related to wishes and scrolls of corruption removal).
- Some performance improvements have been added loading/saving games now should be at least twice as fast as before).
- Work on videos for Steam is progressing (but we know that we need to be faster). We want to get to Steam Greenlight as soon as possible, preferably before it's removed and the onslaught of mediocre games begins.