Just a brief update (because I'm still typing with a single hand) to my accident:
- Surgery for now is over. Although I now have a part-titanium arm with more screws than a T-1000.
- The fracture has been pretty bad (every doctor who looked at the initial x-ray said something like "dear lord!"). My arm/hand will be 1.5-2 inches shorter for the rest of my life.
- I still can't use my left hand for anything more complicated than flipping a page. The fingers are still too thick for my tastes, I can' t turn my hand upwards or bend it decently. Fingers still are somewhat swollen, joints hurt. Given it's been almost six weeks since surgery I am highly concerned by now but both the doctors and therapists tell me that this is normal given the rather severe fracture I had.
- I'm getting therapy right now but things have been improving very slowly.
- I got a CT last year and - while the bones are healing - the doctor estimated another six weeks before they really are firmly reconnected.
- My guess is that it will be March before I slowly can restart my programming work - which is highly frustrating as I had intended to start the year with a big announcement. The big announcement still is very likely to come but it will be March at best now because I simply can't work. (and it is truly a big, exciting and overwhelming positive announcement - quite mind-blowing... which f...ing frustrates me as it makes no sense to talk about it right now).
Currently I spent my days with a very limited set of activities:
- Re-training my left hand.
- Watching Netflix & stuff.
- Visiting doctors.
- I am studying news trying to get a feeling for a world with a president Trump.
Regarding Team ADOM:
- Krys, Jochen and Zeno are working on animated sprites (yeah, slightly moving monsters).
- Lucas is composing more stuff.
- We all have been discussing the big announcement and what follows from it.
Regarding ADOM Lite RPG and the shipments:
- Wave 1 has been shipped.
- A single package was returned to me due to insufficient postage (which is weird in two regards: It was one of three packages to St. Petersburg, Russia and the other two were not returned - and the postage fee is the same for the whole world).
- Packages so far seem to have taken anything between two days and six weeks or more to arrive.
- After wave 1 at least another 79 people have confirmed there shipping addresses.
- Due to my inability to do almost anything in the shipping process wave probably will be delayed until March. This is very frustrating for since all the stuff is standing here but filtering the lists, confirmation mails, etc. requires some programming and I just can't do it right now.
- Before shipping wave 2 an email will be sent to everyone in wave 1 to see if packages got lost.
I'll post an update as soon as there is any helpful progress. While there are no updates please just assume that we are trying hard to make meaningful progress.
Thanks for listening. Wish me luck with the recovery process - I can use every bit of good fortune right now. Here are some closing pics of my new self:
And just in case you are unaware, do google for Dvorak for Right hand, and Keytweak. It took me 30 hours to learn (I timed), and a bit of customization via Keytweak. But it really is awesome once you get used to it.
I wish you speedy recovery, ThomasReplyDelete
Get well, Thomas. But isn't the T-1000 the liquid metal one? I think all of us have at least as many screws as a T-1000. ;)ReplyDelete
You should try playing some ADOM with the mouse and the contextual command (ENTER)! Should be do-able with one hand :)ReplyDelete
Get well soon!
Good LORD that break's worse than mine, and I had my arm broken in three places (got mugged). I forced myself at the computer to start typing and that's how I got all my feeling back in my left hand. Heal up quick...ReplyDelete
I sense a new corruption that causes you to lose the use of one hand...ReplyDelete
Get better soon!
Screw titanium! Adamantium or nothing!!! Hang in there, Thomas!ReplyDelete
Wishing you a speedy (or rather speedier) recovery.
When you understand the new world of Trump, let me know. And make sure Germany does better in your 2017 elections.ReplyDelete
Awww, get well soon! I fractures my patella quite badly a few years back, and it took almost a year to heal completely, so don't lose faith. :)ReplyDelete
The only time I've seen a break that bad, with the number of metal screws and plates, was when my friend had a very bad car accident. How'd you manage to break your arm that badly, if I may ask?ReplyDelete
I slipped while dancing at the QuinScape Christmas party. I was moving slowly and it was a short fall. And I'm still surprised about the extensive damage.Delete
Get well soon Thomas, looking forward to the big announcement.ReplyDelete
Get well from Australia. Myself and three buddies got a lot of fun from ADoM back in the early 2000s and would talk about our trials and tribulations during our road trips (Australian road trips feature a lot of flat scenery).ReplyDelete
Recieved mine the other day.. just so you knowReplyDelete
Thomas, i wish you a quick recovery! Put some points to healing skill, to speed up the process (or a ring of regeneration can help too). :)ReplyDelete
Get well soon! And do take your time, don't push yourself too hard, we will wait.ReplyDelete
Also, you might want to try voice recognition or swype-style keyboard, they work decently well for simple text
Your break looks scary... Get well soon, Thomas! Just keep trying to do the usual stuff and your natural HP regeneration will do the trickReplyDelete
I wish you quick recovery, Thomas. I had my leg bone fractured once, it took me 6 months to get well.ReplyDelete
Regenerate over 6d6 turns. Best health to you, Thomas. Btw. been playing ADOM for like more than 15 years now. Always showing it to my friends as the benchmark for an insanely good crpg/dungeon crawler game :)ReplyDelete
Belated get well soon wishes!ReplyDelete
I've tried several one handed keyboards, my favorite is the BAT from infogrip.com ( http://www.infogrip.com/products/bat-keyboard.html ), jic you are in the market. The Twiddler hand-held was a great idea but I never could bond to it, overly complex IMHO. But the dream of lying in the hammock, drink in hand, authoring a book or game... :)
But even when healthy a one handed keyboard means you can keep one hand on the mouse at all times, great for lots of scenarios like drawing & cad. Less so for programming and writing, though.
it just caused me to buy the steam version of ADOM.ReplyDelete
behind 20 years of plays it for free.
Just a stranger here who you've given thousands of hours of joy to. Take your time getting better, we've waited two decades we can wait another two months. May you heal as though you were born under the glow of the Candle.ReplyDelete
I'm currently recovering from severed tendons on my right middle, ring, and pinky fingers in a knife accident. I required a two-stage tendon reconstruction. ADOM is one of the only things keeping me sane as I can easily play with one hand :)ReplyDelete
You probably don't know me from Adam, but I am a long-time lover of ADoM; when I saw this post in the Facebook group I just had to pop by and send you best wishes.ReplyDelete
It ate my post first time around. Damned phone. Feel better soon! You, and the world you have created, are both incredible.ReplyDelete
sorry about the fracture. hopefully something good comes from it. get well soonReplyDelete