The past couple of days I have been trying to play ADOM mouse-only. Leaving a well-known environment (playing ADOM by keyboard) sometimes opens up interesting new angles and perspectives on things. Since starting to play mouse-based I have felt uncomfortable with the way of how part of ADOM's item management works - specifically picking up and dropping things.
Currently ADOM sees picking up and dropping stuff as two distinct activities:
- There are three separate commands to drop things (drop by 'd' to drop single items, comfortable drop by 'Ctrl-d' to mark sets of items and drop then and extended drop by ':d' to drop categories of items and similar stuff).
- Picking up items works with a similar complexity (pick up items one by one with ',', pick them up serially with ';' and select the items to be picked up with 'Ctrl-p').
What if one would take a different stance and see picking up items and dropping them as an exhange between two parallel sets of items: the one in your backpack and the one on the ground? And what if future ADOM would offer but one interface to handle the interaction?
So here's my idea:
- Future ADOM could offer a single interface with two item lists side by side: on the left the items in your backpack, on the right the list of items on the ground.
- You can switch between both sides with cursor left, cursor right, '<' and '>' and maybe even '4' and '6' to cover all the usual movement options.
- If you press ',' the right side is preselected, if you press 'd' the left side is preselected.
- Selecting an item to the left (by pressing a letter or clicking with the mouse) will move it to the right (drop it) and vice versa (pick it up).
- Both lists are separately pageable and all important data (like burden level, weight carried, weight still available) would be displayed in the header of the respective list.
- Additionally messages would only be displayed if something interesting happens (no longer any "You drop foo" messages but instead only the "foo glows in a white light" and similar messages).
- A popup plus keyboard shortcuts would offer access to dropping/pickup up everything or categories.
- We could even go so far as to remove all keybindings except ',' and 'd' - and even those just for tradition - and at some later point they might be merged into one.
- And the backpack item list could offer a keybinding to switch to this new item management screen.
So what do you think?