- First of all the bridge building skill will be replaced by a general construction skill. The higher the skill the faster (and maybe also the more efficiently) you can build things.
- The construction system probably will be based on possessing some special item (the tinkers bag or something like that - proposals welcome).
- It will be possible to find, buy or receive such a tinkers bag in the game. Maybe you even will get it for free if you put lots of skill points into the construction skill initially.
- Constructing things basically will work in the same way pioneered by games like Settlers of Catan, Minecraft and hundreds others: You will need a combination of resources to build something else.
- Building takes some time (so you can't just raise walls in the middle of a battle).
- The things you can build will be defined by internal construction plans supported by the game (e.g. "possess a tinker bag and three rocks to be able to build one tile of floor" or "possess a tinker bag, have a minimum construction skill score of +6, own five logs and stand at the border of some water in order to build a bridge").
Why? Because otherwise IMHO the game would not be fun. Maybe they will have a weight of 1 but that's the utmost. Building is meant to be a fun and creative way to extend the game and if it becomes a logistical nightmare nobody will use it.
What do you think so far?
I'm also interested in ideas for raw materials for building and interesting "construction plans". Natural things probably will be
- logs of wood
- iron ingots
- steel ingots
- tinker bag, three logs of wood -> chair
- tinker bag, three rocks -> tile of floor
- tinker bag, 10 rocks -> tile of wall
- tinker bag, five logs of wood, one metal ingot -> door
- tinker bag, minimum construction skill of 6, five logs, water nearby -> bridge
So be creative and let me know:
- What do you think about the overall plan?
- What kind of raw materials should be included?
- What kind of construction plans can you think of?
- What other ideas do you have?