How about making corruption being resisted (slightly) by high Appearance scores? The logic being that true beauty is harder to corrupt. And the corollaries being
- that there suddenly is an additional reason why many of the dark races (orcs, trolls, …) fell to Chaos first (most of them being quite ugly),
- elves having an additional reason for being opposed to Chaos,
- appearance suddenly being something worth striving for,
- Chaos can be beautiful, too, but usually with something darker, crawlier, uglier lurking beneath the surface so that there remains a difference between beauty and true beauty,
- corruptions with appearance penalties have a cumulative effect of making it slightly more likely to become more corrupted (see below).
- Right now internally ADOM counts "corruption points" for the PC.
- For every fixed 1000 points gained, you increase one level in corruption and gain a new chaos power.
- The change would be to flexibilize the amount of currently fixed 1000 points.
- Make it 1000 points plus/minus one percent per point of Appearance over/under 10.
- Example: A gray elf with appearance 25 would need to accumulate 1000 x (1 + (25 - 10) / 100) = 1000 * 1.15 = 1150 corruption points in order to gain a new corruption. His buddy Rok, the ugly troll, with an appearance of 3 in turn would need 1000 x (1 + (3 - 10) / 100) = 1000 x 0.93 = 930 corruption points to gain a new corruption.
What do you think? I totally love the idea and barring major arguments against it am going to implement it for prerelease 21.